Connect with us

NEWS

Gareth Southgate quits as England manager after FA talks and Euro 2024 failure

Published

on

 

Gareth Southgate has announced he is leaving his role as England manager following Sunday’s loss in the Euro 2024 final.

The Three Lions boss, 53, has been at the helm for eight years and guided England to successive European Championship finals. His contract expires later this year and he had been coy on talk over his future throughout this summer’s tournament in Germany.

Gareth Southgate quits as England manager after FA talks and Euro 2024 failure

England came up short again in the Euros final against Spain just as they did against Italy at Euro 2020 – and Southgate has now confirmed that Sunday night’s match in Berlin will indeed be his last.

Southgate confirmed the news in an emotional statement, which read: “As a proud Englishman, it has been the honour of my life to play for England and to manage England. It has meant everything to me, and I have given it my all

“But it’s time for change, and for a new chapter. Sunday’s final in Berlin against Spain was my final game as England manager.

“I joined the FA in 2011, determined to improve English football. In that time, including eight years as England men’s manager, I have been supported by some brilliant people who have my heartfelt thanks.

“I could not have had anyone better alongside me than Steve Holland. He is one of the most talented coaches of his generation, and has been immense.

Join the debate! Who do you think should be England’s next manager? Let us know here.

“I have had the privilege of leading a large group of players in 102 games. Every one of them has been proud to wear the three lions on their shirts, and they have been a credit to their country in so many ways.

“The squad we took to Germany is full of exciting young talent and they can win the trophy we all dream of. I am so proud of them, and I hope we get behind the players and the team at St. George’s Park and the FA who strive every day to improve English football, and understand the power football has to drive positive change.

“My special thanks go to the backroom staff who have provided the players and me with unstinting support over the last eight years. Their hard work and commitment inspired me every day, and I am so grateful to them – the brilliant ‘team behind the team’.

“We have the best fans in the world, and their support has meant the world to me. I’m an England fan and I always will be.

“I look forward to watching and celebrating as the players go on to create more special memories and to connect and inspire the nation as we know they can.

“Thank you, England – for everything.”

Several England players and pundits were quick to react to the news on social media on Tuesday morning. England defender Harry Maguire, who missed the Euros through injury, wrote on Instagram: “You made us all believe again – memories that will last forever. Thank you boss.”

Gary Neville posted on X: “Thank you Gareth you did a great job,” while Neville’s Sky Sports colleague Jamie Carragher said: “It’s been a great ride for all involved over the last eight years. Two finals, semi final & a quarter final in Gareth Southgate’s four tournaments is a very tough act to follow!”

Match of the Day host Gary Lineker, who had been critical of Southgate and England throughout Euro 2024, wrote: “Wishing Gareth Southgate all the very best in the future. He brought pride, respect and a togetherness to @England that we hadn’t seen for a long time. He was close, very close to footballing immmortality and he always did the job with humility, decency and dignity. Thank you, Gareth.”

FA chief executive Mark Bullingham also penned a magnificent tribute to the outgoing England boss. Writing on the FA’s official website, he said: “On behalf of English football, I would like to pay tribute to Gareth Southgate and to Steve Holland for everything they have achieved.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CELEBRITY7 hours ago

3 MINUTES AGO! Panic in Meghan’s mansion! Holding her daughter tight, she sat trembling as U.S. police demanded, ‘Where is Harry?’ Tears streaming, Meghan confessed in anguish: ‘My husband has…’ Moments later, William delivered the devastating emergency message to Britain: ‘With sorrow in my heart, I regret to inform you…’” SEE MORE BELOW

CELEBRITY13 hours ago

2 MINUTES AGO! “Harry… bow your head,” King Charles’s trembling voice broke the suffocating silence, a wave of sorrow blanketing the palace. Meghan returned with their two children, clutching white flowers, her face carved with grief. No press, no cameras — only the heavy weight of regret. “I am deeply saddened to announce that…” What came next will haunt Britain for generations… SEE MORE BELOW

CELEBRITY13 hours ago

2 A.M. Last Night! Buckingham Palace confirmed a heartbreaking loss as the family rushed to reunite — all except Harry. Princess Anne wept with swollen eyes, while William leaned on Kate: ‘With broken hearts, we must share the devastating truth…’” SEE MORE BELOW

CELEBRITY19 hours ago

The skies over America turned black! Meghan Markle, clutching her daughter, ran into a U.S. police station, sobbing loudly: ‘Oh God, my husband has…’ — Prince William received the urgent cable and immediately called for a royal emergency meeting. His tearful voice broke as he cried: ‘Father, my brother…’” SEE MORE BELOW

CELEBRITY19 hours ago

BUCKINGHAM’S NIGHT OF DESPAIR: William held Kate tightly, sobbing as shadows blanketed the Palace. At 1 a.m., every royal was called to an emergency meeting — except Harry. The press was barred at the gates. Suddenly, King Charles’s voice tore through the night: ‘Oh, my wife has…’” SEE MORE BELOW

CELEBRITY22 hours ago

Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce bought a tiny diner that let him eat on credit during his college days, converting the eatery to feed 120 homeless people every day. It was all because of a promise he made to someone special when he was a high school student.

CELEBRITY2 days ago

15 MINUTES AGO! Meghan Markle, holding her son Archie, delivered IMPORTANT NEWS from America. The entire Palace was left in shock and sorrow as her trembling voice cried out: ‘My Harry and my Lilibet are being…’” SEE MORE BELOW

CELEBRITY6 days ago

OMG 5 MINUTES AGO! Princess Anne Breaks Her Silence: The Truth About Diana’s Forged Letter That Could Shatter Camilla’s Royal Standing…. full details below

CELEBRITY6 days ago

MIDNIGHT SHOCK! ‘Bow your heads…’ Cries echoed from Buckingham Palace, plunging Britain into a sleepless night. The princes gathered once more, as Harry cast aside past resentments and took up the white cloth: ‘Oh my God, he has…’” SEE MORE BELOW

CELEBRITY1 week ago

Meghan Markle Devastated After Prince Harry’s Shocking Announcement…Royal Family in Tears and Mourning…. Read more

Copyright © 2024 USAenquire