Connect with us

NEWS

Georgia school shooting suspect expected to face more charges as accounts of students’ heroism emerge

Published

on

A 14-year-old student charged with four counts of murder after a mass shooting earlier this week at Apalachee High School is expected to face additional charges accounting for the injured victims, officials said Friday.

As authorities mull more charges and examine the case, a small Georgia community is grieving the two students and two teachers who died Wednesday in the 45th school shooting of 2024 – and the deadliest US school shooting since the March 2023 massacre at The Covenant School in Nashville.

In the days since the tragic attack, Apalachee students have given harrowing accounts of the courageous actions they took to protect their classmates and teachers in the face of senseless violence.

In one classroom, a 14-year-old said she kept the suspect from getting through the door when she saw him pull out a gun. And after a teacher in another classroom was shot, students say they pulled him back inside and used the shirts off their backs to try and stop his bleeding while barricading the door with desks and chairs. Even with a gunshot wound, one teenage boy said he raced to close the classroom door to prevent the shooter from entering.

Victims’ families wiped away tears or clutched stuffed animals as they sat in the Barrow County courtroom Friday during Colt Gray’s arraignment, where he declined to enter a plea to the charges against him.

Prosecutors allege Gray fired an AR-style rifle on campus Wednesday morning, killing four people. Nine others were injured, all but two of whom were shot, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said.

Because of his young age, the maximum penalty Gray could face is life in prison with or without parole, Judge Currie Mingledorff told the teenager in court. In 2005, the US Supreme Court ruled no one can be put to death for crimes committed before the age of 18.

Gray’s father, Colin Gray, 54, faces a maximum sentence of 180 years in prison for four counts of involuntary manslaughter, two counts of second-degree murder and eight counts of cruelty to children.

An arrest warrant for Colin Gray alleges he gave his son a firearm “with knowledge he was a threat to himself and others.” He declined to enter a plea at his first court appearance Friday, and neither him nor his son have asked for bond to be set at their hearings.

“I’m just trying to use the tools in my arsenal to prosecute people for the crimes they commit,” Barrow County District Attorney Brad Smith said.

CNN on Saturday sought comment from the public defenders representing Colt Gray and his father.

Smith said he expects additional charges against Colt Gray in connection with victims who were injured during the shooting. Authorities on Thursday said all nine people wounded in Wednesday’s shooting are expected to make a full recovery.

When he was taken into custody on Wednesday, we did not have the identities or the conditions of the other victims. So we were not able to charge on those offenses,” Smith said. “So when evidence comes in, and they’ve had a chance to heal physically, emotionally and spiritually, we will get with them, and there will be additional charges that address the other victims.”

The next step in the case against Gray will be a grand jury meeting on October 17. This will be followed by a scheduled arraignment before the trial process is started, Smith said. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for December 4, Mingledorff said.

For survivors and others, a community recovery center will open in Barrow County on Monday to offer financial assistance, legal services and spiritual and mental health care, the Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security Agency announced Friday.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CELEBRITY3 hours ago

Tragedy just 5 minutes ago! King Charles announced heartbreaking news, leaving the royal family devastated: “Prince Harry has…”see more below

CELEBRITY3 hours ago

Congratulations, Harry! Meghan shares an ultrasound for the first time on social media, confirming their third child: “The British royal family has a new heir, and this baby turns out to be…” See more below

CELEBRITY9 hours ago

RETURN MY PRIVATE JET! Meghan FREAKS OUT As Tyler Perry BLASTS Her For Bragging About A Private Jet—That Was **NEVER HERS!** See The PROOF—He EXPOSED Her For Who She Really Is Below

CELEBRITY9 hours ago

Oh wow, who would’ve thought? These two can’t see eye to eye, but the latest move by President Trump means BIG NEWS for both Taylor and us Swifties. You won’t believe what he just did for us. See the first comment

CELEBRITY10 hours ago

BREAKING:”18 Photos of Angel Reese & Jada Thorpe at Florida-Maryland Turning Heads” See more…

CELEBRITY14 hours ago

Breaking News:Airport Staff Kicked Out Brittany Mahomes, But Regretted It When Patrick Mahomes Arrived…see more

CELEBRITY15 hours ago

BREAKING NEWS!!! Fans In TEARS As Catherine & William Make Their FINAL DECISION Marking Their Big Plan! (Revealed reason for their divorce)SEE MORE DETAILS

CELEBRITY19 hours ago

ROYAL TRAGEDY! Heartbreak for King Charles. With heavy hearts, we announce the passing….see more in comments

CELEBRITY21 hours ago

BREAKING: “Racist Judge Insults Black Man in Court, Gets Arrested by Him Just Minutes Later” Read more…

CELEBRITY1 day ago

The royal family shines! William shocked the entire UK when he posted a photo with the caption “a sweet reunion in the hospital” of Harry and King Charles, however, the… See more

Copyright © 2024 USAenquire